Friday, August 3, 2007

Bye-Bye Bumpkins!

Our little cabin on the lake is, by most standards, in the boonies. The in-laws admit to singing "over the hills and through the woods to Jenn & Mike's we go," so it may be no surprise that we have been living with the SLOWEST internet available to humans. Yes, gawd-awful dial-up, and 28K at that! I know! Bumpkins! Hillbillies! I hear your jaws drop in awe.

But, that all changed two days ago! We are now LIVE and wireless at 4 million mB/sec, or some super-fast number! I'm not sure what it all means yet. I'm scared.

We moved out of the BIG CITY to the boonies 7 years ago for all the stereotypical reasons - mostly peace and my complete unwillingness to keep up with the masses (can't say "joneses" for obvious reasons). But the masses have won.

Now we, too, can fritter away more hours in front of a screen, until our eyes are bloodshot. You see, with slow downloads, you can't really get addicted; not REALLY. But, already I feel the draw, yesterday afternoon, a perfect 80 degrees, sunny blue skies and the boss let us off early. What do I think of first? A refreshing swim after a sweaty day? A stress-relieving bike ride? A good book on the dock? NOOO! I wonder what I'll post.



I went for a swim. I don't know how long I can stay strong.

No comments: